Friday, April 27, 2012

When there is nothing left to do but pray...

Have you ever felt helpless? I have always known what this meant, but I recently took a look in the dictionary to see what the true definition was. It said, "Unable to defend oneself or to act without help." The other definition was one word, "Uncontrollable." I feel that the latter is a better definition of how I feel. Out of control. Not able to help.

As parents, we feel this way about so many things. When your child is sick you want so badly to remove their pain and just take it yourself. Whether it be physical or emotional pain...you just want to make it better. Aiden has been having a lot of trouble with his allergies. We thought that we were kind of keeping things in good condition until a week ago. I noticed a rash covering his body. Truthfully, this didn't concern me at first because he has always been prone to eczema. We would normally give him a bath, put his lotion on, send him to bed and in the morning all would be well. This time I got a little concerned because instead of getting better, it started to get worse. I took him to the doctor and of-course I left feeling so much better with a plan of action. You have to realize, I have all the faith in the world in his doctor and have never once second guessed her. That's just our story...unfortunately there are so many others that are so much worse than ours.

I have been seeing and hearing so many heart wrenching stories lately. Today, a mother lost her son in Afghanistan. He has been over there fighting for our freedom and now, the next time she will see him will be in his casket. I can't imagine how this mother must feel. I can't begin to put myself in her situation. I am a Christian and believe in God. I know that I would eventually find peace....but what about the days before? Are you angry, sad, in disbelief....uncontrollable.

Another story I read had an expectant mother getting her room all prepared for her child. She had bought so many things in preparation, as we all do. Her precious baby came to her stillborn. That sweet life went to heaven far too soon.

What about the parent that has a child addicted to drugs or alcohol? They feel completely helpless. I can say this from seeing it first hand....it's an uncontrollable sadness to NOT know how to help your loved one. Your child! The person that you gave birth to, that person that you watched learn to walk and talk....they are now struggling and fighting for their lives and you have to sit back and watch that destruction.

And as parents we will try everything in our power, using all resources available, to try to save that life. The only advice that I have for myself and all other parents is, when you feel completely helpless...get on your knees and pray. Have faith in God, He has an amazing plan that we know nothing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment